Makes roughly 20 small doughnuts
These are perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. For maximum flavour, it’s essential to use fresh yeast.
225g full-fat milk
22g fresh yeast
75g unsalted butter
480g plain flour
Pinch of salt
3 egg yolks
1. Heat the sugar and milk slowly until the sugar dissolves (about 5 minutes).
2. Crumble the yeast into a bowl and pour over half the milk mixture. Whisk yeast to dissolve.
3. Add the butter to the other half of the milk mixture, and melt.
4. Sift flour and salt into a clean bowl, then make a well in the centre. Add egg yolks and both milk mixtures and bring everything together gently to make a dough. Don’t overwork the dough or it will toughen.
5. Place in a clean, floured bowl for 90 minutes, cover and leave to proof.
6. ‘Knock back’ the dough and roll into a rectangular shape. Cut into small squares, cover and leave to sit for 30 minutes, to rise.
7. To make the sauce, heat all ingredients together.
8. Deep-fry doughnut squares in canola oil or another neutral-based oil until golden and cooked through. The loukoumades should sound hollow when tapped. Serve with the sauce.